Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 13:49:48 -0400
From:      Robert Beer <r-beer@onu.edu>
To:        "Jaime Bozza" <wheelman@nuc.net>, "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Strange Reverse DNS problem.

At 4:34 PM -0400 7/23/1998, Jaime Bozza wrote:
>> > will show the hostnames fine, but last shows IP addresses.  (Not for
>> > everything though.  Some IPs in last are shown correctly as
>> hostnames while
>> > others are just IPs)
>> >
>> > Any idea what could be wrong?
>>
>> This looks like a problem with last(1).  I get it as well.
>
>That's good to know. <G>  At least I'm not going crazy.  Anyone else with
>the same problem?  I think I'll go take a look at last and see if I can
>notice anything.

I believe this is login.c where the the length of the FQDN of the host is
greater than 16 characters.  Rather than truncate the name, a reverse dns
lookup is done and the IP address is printed.

Another case is where the name is larger than the field and the reverse
lookup (no reverse map or a dns config error) fails the you get "invalid
hostname".

Take a look at PR bin/4497 and the reply.  If you make the change I suggest
you set up syslog.conf with a line to log auth.info:

auth.info                                       /var/log/login.log

---
Bob Beer <r-beer@onu.edu>
Ohio Northern University, Academic Computer Services, Ada, OH  45810