Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 20:02:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ross Beyer <rbeyer@azstarnet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   3C509-TPO at ep0 failing

Hello,
	I'm having problems with my 3Com 3C509-TPO ISA ethernet card.
After FreeBSD installation, the system cannot seem to access the
card.  I know that similar problems have come up on
FreeBSD-questions before, but I can't quite seem to find the solution
to my problem.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am able to use the 4.2-RELEASE install floppies to bring up the
system, and even install over FTP!  When the system boots from
floppies, it sees the ep0 device, and uses it correctly.  It is
for this reason that I was quite surprised to reboot the machine
after (what I thought was) a successful installation, only to find
the following errors:

ep0: <3Com 3C509-TPO Etherlink III> at port 0x300-0x30f irq 3 on isa0
ep0: No irq?!
ep0: ep_alloc() failed
ep0: device_probe_and_attach: ep0 attach returned 6

I searched through the mailing lists and found people that had
trouble with multiple cards or even single cards that seemed to
have two devices (ep0 and ep1), but I only get info for ep0.  I
checked using the latest 3Com utility that the mailing lists
suggested for other problems, and verified that the NIC itself
has PnP disabled.  I've tried a number of different combinations
of the NIC PnP disabled or not, setting the BIOS to PnP or not,
and even messing with the IRQ.  Nothing that I can think of seems
to help.

I just find it curious that the INSTALL floppies manage to find
and effectively use the 3Com on ep0, but the installed 4.2-RELEASE
system cannot.  I haven't yet tried installing the sources and messing
around with the GENERIC kernel.

Thanks for taking the time to read my message, and thanks in advance
for any help you can pass along.

                                        Ross