Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:52:28 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.org, will@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: requesting enhancements to addport :)

mi@aldan.algebra.com wrote:

> On 18 Apr, Will Andrews wrote:
> = On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 09:08:53AM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> = > 1. Making the port addition and module list modification in a single
> = >    commit (transaction).
> =
> = That will tax most people's Internet connections needlessly.
>
> Compare  the  taxation  of  the   single  committer  during  the  commit
> with  the  taxing  brought  by  an extra  e-mail  message  to  cvs  sent
> to  all  subscribers.

Well, gziped CVSROOT/modules currently is 55KB long (transfer size is 110KB,
because file have to be transferred to and then from client), so dialup
committers would kill you.... In addition, it would greatly increase
possibility of stale lock on CVSROOT/modules (Bad Thing, BTW) due to dualup
going down in the middle of transfer.

> In  addition  to  the simple  database  management
> consideration: all pieces  of a transaction should be  committed at once
> -- to simplify logging and roll-back, and ensure consistency...

I'm objecting to this. In addition to a valid arguments supplied by the Will
and my arguments above in your scheme cvs history of CVSROOT/modules will be
bloated with unnecessary description of each port added.

-Maxim