Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 16:19:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, Rob <europax@home.com>, "hackers @ FreeBSD . ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the =+ operator

    When I was writing DICE I spent a whole 5 seconds considering the merits
    of the old =-, =+, etc... notation.  Because that's all it took for me
    to come to the obvious conclusion that the old style notation was a pile
    of crap that only made everyone's lives more difficult - not just the
    poor sod (that's me) writing the compiler, but also the programmers,
    reviewers, and testers as well.  The whole process of writing and
    testing code was positively impacted when those old style notations
    became illegal.

    And, for the record, the whitespace-ignoring bit has nothing to do with
    the lexing/parsing issue.  Nothing at all whatsoever to do with it.
    Even in a modern compiler a construct like "+ =" is illegal.  Whitespace
    is not ignored, it was simply clarified.  The real problem with the old
    stuff was always human readability, debuggability, and lack of robustness.

    And... DICE still has the fastest one-pass lexer/parser on the planet.
    I just had to throw that in there :-)  Too bad it only generates 68000
    output.

:"Style" is the essense of the best programming.  Good programmers have it,
:the rest suffer for want of it . . .
:
:jmc

    ... Amen.