Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 2003 20:31:50 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, <adaml@visimation.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Redirecting root's email

At 08:13 PM 1.6.2003 -0500, Matthew Emmerton wrote:
>[ dah!  Don't top-post! ]
>> >
>> > I'm not a big Sendmail expert or anything, but do you even
>> > have the MTA
>> > process running? Can you successfully telnet localhost.visimation.com
>> > port 25? What sendmail related lines do you have in /etc/rc.conf?
>> > --
>> > Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee |
>> > http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
>> > * All wiyht.  Rho sritched
>> > mg kegboawd awound?
>> >
>> Yes, I have the Sendmail Process running.  Telnet to port 25 of
>> localhost.visimation.com gives this:
>> Forcefield# telnet localhost.visimation.com 25
>> Trying 127.0.0.1
>> Connected to locahost.visimation.com.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> 220 forcefield.visimation.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.6/8.12.6; Mon, 6 Jan
>> 2003 16:50:15 -0800 (PST)
>>
>> I really wish I could get this working.  It seems like such a simple
>> thing, and my installation was pretty much straight-out-of-the-box from
>> the Standard installation.
>
>Usually to redirect root's email, you edit /etc/mail/aliases to have an
>entry that looks like this:
>
>root:    matt
>
>and then run 'newalises' for it to take effect.  If you want to redirect
>root's email to a non-local mailbox, then you have to make an entry in
>/etc/mail/virtusertable, like this:
>
>root    matt@gsicomp.on.ca
>
>and then 'cd /etc/mail' and 'make' which will do the trick.
>
>--
>Matt Emmerton

Well, not to be left out of the party, here's the way I've done for as long
as I can remember:

<snip/> (# are from from the aliases file)
# Pretty much everything else in this file points to "root", so
# you would do well in either reading roots mailbox or forwarding
# roots email from here.

root:           sageame			# On this server
sageame:        jackstone@sage-one.net	# Another domain on another server

# In the above example, I first send root to a normal user account (may be
redundant).
# I also put include files which contain outside and inside accounts

# Test include file list
sendtest::include:/etc/mail/sendtest	# a test file

</snip>

Then run # newaliases -- should work

I suggest you try the above "sendtest" used as follows below which runs on
the console verbose and you can see what it the mail system is doing and
perhaps see the problem:

# mail -v -s test sendtest < /dev/null

where include is a list from /etc/aliases
	sendtest	:include:/etc/sendtest

where sendtest (aliases include)
	root				# On this server
	jackstone@sage-one.net	# On another server on my network