Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 08:57:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        Jin Guojun <jin@george.lbl.gov>, thebs@smithconcepts.com, thebs@theseus.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: K7V problem? <- Make sure DIMM is in slot 1

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Richard Tobin wrote:

:> I'm not aware
:> of what exactly is meant by 'registered DIMMs', could someone explain.
:
:I think it means "having registers" :-)
:
:According to http://www.memoryx.net/128rpc133ecc.html:
:
: Registered means the module has a type of buffering. This allows more
: modules to run stably in a system. To use registered dimm, your
: mainboard must support registration and you can not mix registered
: and non registered memory.

I have no idea if the DIMM is registered or not.  The memory supplier you
point to above sells both reg'd and unreg'd 256M DIMMs, so size is not an
indicator.  Looking at the price difference, I doubt I have a reg'd DIMM.
I'd also think if I did, nothing would work, not just FreeBSD.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"