Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 96 17:46:15 +12000
From:      <E00114@vnet.atea.be> (Rob Schofield)
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   V2.1 Walnut Creek release Install probs

FreeBSD 2.1 - Problems with Disk Partioner and Labeller during Install.

Hi there, my name's Rob Schofield.

I have a problem with the install of FreeBSD 2.1 from the Walnut Creek 2-CD
installation set. During the install, although the install can be completed
successfully, on re-boot of the system, the disk's partition tables have been
corrupted. I have read the documentation and I am still a bit mystified, so
here's the call for help. I am a programmer with UNIX SysAdmin experience on
SUNs, so you can assume a reasonable level of competence & and Jargon
Understanding Threshold (JUT)!

First, the kit:

I have an Intel architecture, single processor, DEC Application DEC 433MP
file server system using EISA bus, 486DX and 16M of RAM. As a disk
controller, I'm using the Adaptec AHA1742A EISA/SCSI host bus adaptor in
enhanced mode. This has been properly configured via the system's
configuration utility, and appears to work OK under Win NT (spit, spit) and
DOS (hurrrgh). There's two SCSI disks internally mounted in the system and a
7-tray CD-ROM changer mounted externally; disk at SCSI Address 0 is a Fujitsu
1.032 Gb (SCSI-2 Standard), disk at address 1 is a DEC RZ205 205 Mb (SCSI-1
standard), changer at address 2 is a Nakamichi MBR-7 2X CD-Rom changer
(multiple LUN, SCSI-2 standard). The host adaptor is at address 7,
unterminated. The Fujitsu is at the end of an internal 2-hop daisychain
passively terminated on the drive. The external CD-Rom changer is also
terminated passively at the end of a single-hop external cable. The Fujitsu
is greater than 1 Gb, and does NOT have sector translation enabled on the
controller for use with DOS (ie. I lose 32M under DOS as it can only address
volumes up to 1Gb). There is no other disk controller in the system, and the
system does not have disk 0 or 1 installed in the CMOS config. At boot time,
the Adaptec installs the Fujitsu as disk 80h and the DEC as disk 81 using
it's onboard BIOS. All three drives are successfully detected during
boot/BIOS load. The controller BIOS loads at C800h, with the VGA BIOS loading
at C000-C7FF. ROM shadowing is disabled.

Second, the disk layout and what I did:

Originally I had only DR-DOS 6 installed on the Fujitsu, in a single slice
containing a 100M Big DOS Primary partition (DOS V3.3 format), and a 500M DOS
Extended partition containing 5 logical drives of 100M. The MBR was the
standard DR-DOS 6 boot loader + tables. The remaining 432 Mb was not used.
The drives were sequenced C: - H:, with 7 CD-Rom drive letters being assigned
from I: - O: using MSCDEX extensions and an enhanced-mode ASPI driver set.
The DEC drive was not installed, the Fuj at add. 0, the Nakamichi at add. 1.

I installed BSD 2.0.5 successfully (?) using the Walnut Creek CD-ROM
distribution. The install partioner successfully utilised the additional
(unreachable by DOS) 32M to give a second slice of 432 Mb for FreeBSD. This
was then correctly labelled and partitioned internally to support root, swap,
usr, home, and var partitions. The DOS primary disk was mounted as a volume
on /dos in root. With the FBSD Boot loader installed in the MBR, I could
successfully boot and load both DOS and BSD 2.0.5 (DR-DOS in part. table
entry 3, BSD in part. table entry 1).
(Note: The XFree86 package would never install correctly[it frequently seemed
to hang], and I suspect that this caused the system install sequence to
prematurely abort, leaving an incomplete but operational 2.0.5 system on the
machine).

After buying the 2.1 2-CD distribution, I attempted to update the 2.0.5
installation by a re-install (I had no real data to retain, so it was OK to
just blast it). The from-CD install option disagreed with the DR-DOS memory
manager, so I formatted a boot floppy and installed from floppy and CD-ROM.
The installer floopy mini-kernel correctly found the 1742A, and identified
the drives and the CD-ROM correctly. This is where I saw my first problems;
when the partitioner came up, it spotted the second 432M slice as unused (it
was no longer marked in the partition table as I restored the original MBR)
and placed the prompt bar over it, marked as "Unused". Using the (C) command,
I tried to create a BSD slice. At this point, I got the "Size" dialogue box,
containing the number of sectors shown on the first screen. <OK> created the
BSD slice, but *smaller* than the amount specified by some 4,000-odd sectors,
plus a *new*, 4,000 sector area marked "unused". This small area cannot be
deleted (it is already marked as unused, obviously!). If you then try to
create a BSD slice within it, it will succeed and again cause the creation of
a second, smaller free area. The second, new BSD slice has zero size. This
can be carried on until the partiton table fills. If you delete the BSD slice
created this way, the deleted slice's space gets added back to the "unused"
area. All of this behaviour is different from that of the 2.0.5 partitioner,
which correctly recognised and used all the available space on the disk.

The labeller now correctly operates in the newly defined BSD slice to create
the required OS partitions (I initially used the (A)utomatic option to size
them), but on exit, a warning message box is put up stating:

Warning: sd0sX does not end on track boundary
Warning: sd0sX does not end on cylinder boundary
..
..
..

.. or some such. This "warning message pair" seems to appear (by co-
incidence) for each of the predefined DOS drives (6) in slice 1, as if the
labeller is operating on the first slice, not the new second slice. The
install proceeds correctly to completion, and the machine is re-booted. At
this point, with the new boot loader installed, I got the expected:

f1: FreeBSD
f3: DOS

?

.. but selecting either one results in the return of the ? prompt, with no
boot sequence.

At this point, re-booting with a DOS boot floppy, it is no longer possible to
access the primary partition DOS drive (C:) or extended partition logical
drives (D: - H:) in the first slice - it is as if the partiton table has been
corrupted. After restoring the MBR (boot record and partition table data)
from a rescue disk, the system re-boots directly to DOS again, with all
drives accessable and no data loss. This, to my mind, implied partition table
corruption during the Partioner/labeller run or when the new layout data is
committed to disk. Reading the documentation did not really yield a clear
explanation or cause, other than a hint that this may be a geometry-related
problem (on a SCSI disk???)

Just to make things difficult, I then added the second, DEC drive at add. 1,
moving the Nakamichi to add. 2 (taking care to sort out the termination
properly). Windows NT (spit, spit) was installed to occupy the entire disk.
The NT boot loader files installed correctly within the Fuj Slice 1, DOS
primary partition. With the now-restored standard MBR, the NT multi-boot
loader inside slice 1 correctly gave a choice of a DOS boot or an NT boot.
The setup was now disk 80h with 600 M in a single slice (containing DR-DOS
and NT boot files), 432 M unused, and disk 81 with 205 M in a single slice
with no unused space. A second rescue disk was created as this point.
Repeating the FreeBSD install, selecting drive SD0 to create the BSD slice on
the Fuji disk, the same thing happened as before - weird partitioner
behaviour, followed by warnings, and on re-boot, the ? prompt now had:

f1: FreeBSD
f3: DOS
f5: Unknown

..as choices, none of which worked. A restore with the rescue disk restored
the original setup with no data loss, both NT and DOS available for boot.

Points to note:

I have not been especially scrupulous in my investigation so far, as there
are a number of things I could still do:

1) Each time I have installed, I have chosen to mount the DOS primary
partition on the root at mount point /dos when the labeller creates
partitions using the (A) option. I have not checked whether the
"Warning:......." message pairs persist if I do *not* choose to mount it in
the labeller menu.

2) I have not yet created a BSD boot floppy with a mini-kernel on board that
I could use to attempt to mount the partitions created in the new slice used
for the install.

3) I have not yet used a utility to inspect the contents of the partition
tables on the Fuji before and after the install sequence, or to manually edit
the partition table contents.

4) I have not explored the possibility of using the 2.0.5
Partitioner/Labeller to try and pre-designate the free area as a FreeBSD
slice, leaving it empty, then boot and perform an install into the slice from
2.1

I'm writing to see if you have had any experience of this type of problem
being reported since the release was made. It is my intention to proceed
further to see if I can resolve this myself, but it would of course save a
lot of time and effort if you already had an instant solution!

I realise you guys are probably up to your neck in work (if it's anything
like my environment), so I appreciate greatly in advance any help you could
give. It is my intention to have a go at writing a device driver for the
Novell/Eagle 3200 32-bit EISA ethernet card, so I may even get an opportunity
to feed something back in gratitude!

A couple of extra questions for you:

- have there been any posted updates or patches to 2.1 since it's initial
release?
- do you have a standing bug list available anywhere?
- are there any plans to improve EISA support? Anyone have anything in the
works? How about the AHA274X series?
- is anyone working on a JAVA VM and compiler port for 2.1 + X?

Due to a rather weird mailing setup (I have to work off-site), can you
address any replies to:

schofiel@xs4all.nl

- and it will be forwarded to me.

Thanks again,