Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 1995 11:29:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      sos@freebsd.org (Soren Schmidt)
To:        peter@haywire.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Doom!  It's dangerous...

> Try compiling your kernel with "options DIAGNOSTIC" and see how quickly
> it blows up.
>
> It appears to be passing vnodes around to functions that are expecting
> them to be locked, but in fact, are not locked (eg: ufs_access, while
> trying to load /lib/ld.so).

I'll look into that tonight..

> Alas, we can't see the source to see if it's an isolated bug or somthing
> that's more prolific.

Yeah well, as soon as we lift code freeze for 2.0.5 I'll commit the
files to the tree, meanwhile its only meant as a "technology demo"
that enables us to run DOOM, nothing more...

> Also, it causes compile warnings if you compile with "options KTRACE".
> Something is suspect in the COMPAT_LINUX code in i386/trace.c

Hmm, I think I've fixed that one..

> But, at last, I've almost got it working.. All I need to figure out now,
> is why it comes up in about 4 colours.. (black, grey, white, and red).
> It's definately running on a 256 colour server (all to itself even).

Hmm, its works fine for me here under both twm & fvwm (remember the
colors are wrong if the DOMM window isn't in focus)

> Also, I binary edited /lib/ld.so so that the resolv+ resolver in the
> linux libc doesn't get it's knickers in a knot over the freebsd format
> /etc/host.conf

Oh, the next version of the emulator supports makeing a seperate file
system (eg /linux) where it looks first for files etc, so you can have
a linux version there. The bad thing with this is that you have to keep
that kind of config files in sync with eachother :-(

Soren Schmidt      (sos@FreeBSD.org | sos@kmd-ac.dk)      FreeBSD Core Team
..