Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:05:36 +0100
From:      Matthias Schuendehuette <msch@snafu.de>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Peter.Sauerland@siemens.com
Subject:   Re: TCP Sequence-Prediction (4.5-PRE)

Hello Mike, Hello Jonathan

Am Dienstag, 8. Januar 2002 16:16 schrieben Sie (Mike):

> I'm not really sure anything is wrong here.  The duplicate sequence
> numbers you are seeing are due to the syn cookie code working as
> expected. While the values are duplicated for you, they should not be
> guessable by anyone else.
>
> If you'd like to go back to random ISNs, you can simply set
> net.inet.tcp.syncookies=0.  Security is probably comparable in either
> case.
>
> So, ISS is right in that sequence numbers are repeating, but wrong in
> that they are predictable.  The authors of ISS should probably sit
> down and try to modify their detection so that it detects RFC 1948
> and syncookie generated sequence numbers as distinct from other
> classes.

Today, my company's CERT confirmed your diagnosis in all points (I
guess, they read the mailing list too ;-). They informed ISS about this
issue and I hope that this apparition disappears really soon.

I think we may close this case and all that remains for me is to thank
you very much for your participation and valuable informations - I
really appreciated to find out what was going on here.

FreeBSD remains for me one of the greatest OSs around!

Ciao/BSD - Matthias