Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 15:49:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LINT and GENERIC - between a rock and a generic place.

> On Sat, 31 May 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > More and more people are trying to use GENERIC as a template for their
> > own kernels and they're losing, of course, because generic sets many
> > limits (like max children or open files) too low.
>
>   Now that we have login.conf this is pretty much a dead issue isn't it?
> Why heavily customize the kernel config file, when you can do it with
> login.conf?  In fact the stock login.conf already has a "news" class for
> news server.

Jordan is speaking to hard limits.  The login.conf speaks to soft
limits, and is still limited to what it can set by the hard limits.

The hard limits are the result of static allocations, general at
initialization time before the kernel is really running, like
globally declared arrays.

AIX was probably right when it made all this stuff dynamic.  Then you
could at least sysctl the "hard limit" after the machine was up.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.