Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 17:39:17 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Michael Bartlett <mike@cataract.eye2eye.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp.conf question

hi all
i'm REALLY confused with the set dial string
i need to send an atx0 to my modem so that it doesn't expect a dialtone
(behind a PABX)

i've been fiddling and playing with the set dial from the ppp.conf.sample
and CANNOT for the life of me figure it out!

 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATX0 OK \dATDT\\T
TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

at the moment i have that, which is very wrong.
could someone please explain to me how on earth this set dial string is
processed.

all i want to do is send atx0 and then start my dial. i actually give
rocks wether or not the atx0 returns an OK at the moment - i just want to
dial!!

thanks
mike