Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:03:07 +0200 (SAST)
From:      The Psychotic Viper <psyv@sec-it.net>
To:        Andrew Johns <johnsa@kpi.com.au>
Cc:        CS <spork@fasttrackmonkey.com>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KLD detectors

Hi,

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Andrew Johns wrote:

> CS wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does anyone know of a program for FreeBSD to look for "hidden" KLDs?
> >
> > I found this for linux:
> >
> > http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/breves/LKMrootkits.html
> >
> > But so far, nothing for FreeBSD.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > CS
> >

> I found this a while ago - have never looked into it myself -
> just saved the URL for times like this.
>
> http://www.chkrootkit.org
>
> They have versions for most un*x's.
better yet they in the ports /usr/ports/security/chkrootkit =) and have no
idea on how to check for them but you could enable kernel secure levels
(if the machine is not going to use X or any securelevelphobic software)
which would limit the chance of being bitten by a stray module. Just its
not the all-curing-fix but limits what you would need to look at/check to
avoid such nasties.

HTH,
PsyV