Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2018 11:11:12 -0400
From:      Ralph Smith <ralph@ralphsmith.org>
To:        Per olof Ljungmark <peo@nethead.se>
Cc:        David Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rpi3 and Adafruit GPS Hat

Sent from my iPhone

>> On Jul 23, 2018, at 5:40 AM, Per olof Ljungmark <peo@nethead.se> wrote:
>>=20
>> On 07/23/18 10:46, David Cornejo wrote:
>> this might be a little blasphemous, but for grins I tried an Oncore with
>> PPS to a GPIO and running the serial through a TTL-USB serial cable and
>> that seems to work ok.
>>=20
>> there's probably some good reason that this is a bad idea.
>=20
> Depends on what precision you are after, but for lowest possible jitter
> you need to use the uart, the difference is in magnitudes.

But he=E2=80=99s not running the PPS through the USB serial port, it is goin=
g directly to GPIO. Correct me if I=E2=80=99m wrong here, but once ntpd lock=
s to the PPS there is no real difference between the two. I=E2=80=99m runnin=
g that exact scenario here with two Pis, both Model 2. One has an Adafruit G=
PS HAT directly attached, and the other has the GPS connected to a USB-TTL s=
erial adapter, with the PPS connected to the GPIO. Both sync to PPS with the=
 offset typically around 4 =CE=BCs and jitter around 2 =CE=BCs. I may try it=
 with an Oncore I have on hand but that will have to wait a month or so for o=
ther things to settle down.=20

Ralph
>> On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 9:09 PM Per olof Ljungmark <peo@nethead.se
>> <mailto:peo@nethead.se>> wrote: