Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 2000 21:18:56 +0900
From:      YAMAMOTO Shigeru <shigeru@iij.ad.jp>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ricoh RL5C475 PCI-PCMCIA adaptor and interrupts

Rx5C475 is a PCI device.
It has not only a PCI interrupt but also an ISA interrupt line to
suppor PCIC compatible mode.

In Werner's case, Rx5C475 is on a motherboard and an ISA interrupt
line is connected to ISA bus.
So we can use an ISA interrupt line and ISA interrupt mode.

In Brian's case, Rx5C475 is on an optional PCI adapter board and an ISA
interrupt line is not connected to ISA bus.
So we can't use an ISA interrupt line and we must use a PCI Interrupt
line.

Some PC Card adapter(PCI type) has an optional connector to insert in
an ISA slot.
That PC Card adapter supports ISA interrupt mode because an ISA
interrupt line is connected to ISA bus with an optional connector.

In a word,
1) When Rx5C475 is on a motherboard(or Note PC), we can use ISA
interrupt mode and PCI interrupt mode. (meybe...)
2) When Rx5C475 is on a PCI adapter board and it has an optional ISA
connector, we can use ISA interrupt mode and PCI interrupt mode.
3) When Rx5C475 is on a PCI adapter board, but it has no optional ISA
connector, we can only use PCI interrupt mode.

Thanks,
-------
YAMAMOTO Shigeru			Internet Initiative Japan Inc.
<shigeru@iij.ad.jp>			Network Engineering Div.