Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:49:50 -0400
From:      Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking for good QA tests...

Hi everyone...

Back in June, at Usenix, Jordan and I talked about doing some more formalized
QA on FreeBSD releases. Unfortunately, this has yet to go really far, as I was
trying to complete some commitments, and have some infrastructure in place
before I started making this endeavor overly public, as I'm also trying to keep
the amount of time I have to put in to it to a moderate pace.

However, I'm now at the point where I'd like to start collecting materials to
do this. By "materials", I mean both test scenarios and code for performing
these tests.

While I now have your mind spinning, I'd like to lay down some limits. Firstly,
my current resources for testing is relatively small. I have four machines that
I can use most of the time. Therefore, we can't do "everything, all the time",
so tests should be limited to cover as broad a range of items as we have time
for. My estimation is we will get approximately 48 hours per release candidate
as we move towards Jordan cutting a release. In between, we might get a bit
more slack, but not a lot. Secondly, these tests can not take a lot of person
hours to perform. _I_ can give approximately 1-2 man hours per test cycle.
Therefore, these tests need to be automated, have good reporting (especially
if they fail), and be easy to set up and run. Lastly, these tests should be
tests, and not benchmarks. I can't stress this enough. Knowing how fasts my
disks are is useless compared to a bug in the network interface that causes
the machine to panic.

Now, as more people sign on to both write code/test plans, as well as do the
testing, we might be able to expand the types of tests we can run. My plans
are to wrap up whatever I'm given in the form of code in to a port/package
set, and have it distributed so that anyone with a spare machine can come
onboard and help out.

Therefore, I'm asking people to put their minds to work, and talk about valid
tests that we could run to catch things that might slip through the cracks. I'm
hoping that some of the long-timers can point out areas that have been missed
before, and others to point out areas where they have seen local problems.

I am hoping that there are also enough interested people out there with
coding skills (this may be an area where heavy-duty skills are not required)
can take some of these ideas, and convert them in to test code that operates
within the limits above.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

	-Brian