Date:      Tue, 2 May 2006 13:46:04 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "No@SPAM@mgEDV.net" <nospam@mgedv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.1-RC2: strange kernel panic!

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 07:34:58PM +0200, No@SPAM@mgEDV.net wrote:
>=20
> hi together!
>=20
> this is the 4th time the server died since last week (and the 1st time we
> catched the error!).
> it happened during an "du -sk ." of some large directory structure.
>=20
> panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small: 335544320 total allocated
>=20
> any ideas on this? this system should go live soon, so we definitely need=
> fix this!

Your kernel ran out of memory.  Either you are using a workload that
is too heavy for your current settings, or there is a memory leak
somewhere in a kernel subsystem you are using.

Try to increase VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX in your kernel, e.g.

options         VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX=3D524288000      #500MB

You may need to increase it further.

Kris

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4--