Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2007 15:07:51 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mails from jails

Alexander,

> In my jails at home I configured sendmail with a smarthost
> (respectively a msp for the submit.mc) and use
>    sendmail_enable="NO"
>    sendmail_submit_enable="YES"
> in rc.conf.

But this means you are running sendmail in each and every jail, right?

Isn't it better to keep the services per jail to a minimum, excluding
services that are not necessarily required? Now you have the much-
exploited sendmail daemon running in every jail.

I haven't found a complete solution yet, but I would expect to be
able to run an (E)SMTP daemon in one jail, listening only to
127.0.0.x (not on the external interface), allowing only connections
from 127.0.0.255. However, I just noticed in the rc.sendmail(8) man
page that it indicates this will not work:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=rc.sendmail&sektion=8

Then all the other jails could just run sSMTP, connecting to the
ESMTP service on the mail-jail, without AUTH (SASL) and SSL, just
plain old SMTP.

> My smarthost is postfix in another jail and it delivers via TLS
> +sasl to a box with an official and static IP which is responsible
> for the final delivery.

So does the postfix daemon listen to an internal network address
(127.0.0.x)? If so, this comes pretty close to what I'm looking for.

Cheers,

Ernst