Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 21:52:04 +1000
From:      obituary <c9710216@atlas.newcastle.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with cvsup

I've been having some trouble with cvsup of late, and unfortunately I'm
at a complete loss as to what may be causing it.

There are two machines here that I've tried to update.  My personal
machine runs 4.0-CURRENT and the network firewall that runs 3.2-RELEASE.

The cvsup program establishes a connection with a server properly, and
everything is fine up until the "Running" phase.  It's at this point
where the transfer rate falls through the floor.  Data is only
transferred in short bursts of, say, 5k at a time, once every 10-15
seconds.  After about 3 minutes of this behaviour the connection goes
completely idle and eventually times out with the error:

TreeList failed: Network write failure: Connection timed out

The strange thing is that this problem only occurs when I'm using
FreeBSD on my firewall box.  I initially thought that my firewall rule
set could be to blame, so I flushed all the rules and set the default
policy to pass all packets.  I then tried to cvsup the 3.2-RELEASE box
using a direct modem connection to the net (no natd/firewall in the
road), but still no luck.

The last successful cvsup I did was about a month and a half ago, and at
that time the firewall box was a linux machine using IP masquerading.
I'd kept the harddrive with the linux setup around "just in case" so I
swapped the harddrives, booted linux, and tried a cvsup from my
4.0-CURRENT machine (using linux as the firewall).  It worked flawlessly
-- and now I'm *really* confused.  The FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE firewall box
has worked perfectly for everything I've used it for (web browsing, ftp,
mail, news, etc.) and yet it stumbles over cvsup connections??

If anyone can shed some light on my situation (or has experienced
similar troubles themselves) I'd be most grateful to hear from you.

-jake (obituary)                          Powered by FreeBSD
c9710216@atlas.newcastle.edu.au         http://www.freebsd.org