Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 15:53:32 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Firewall vs. Black Ice

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> Right, but you were talking about cost-benefit as though having a cracked
> site is a cost that has to be considered.  What I'm trying to point out is
> that there's no excuse for having a cracked site - ie: the cost of a cracked
> site is a bogus cost because el-cheapo firewalling that isn't half-bad is
> available to anyone, no matter how little they know about firewalling.

Um - do you really believe that there's such a thing as an uncrackable
firewall? Short of disconnecting from the network, that is.

Those "not half-bad" boxes work to keep script kiddies out, and will
continue to do so if you update them regularly. They are only slightly
harder to configure use than a rock, no matter how much you know about
firewalling and networking. But I'm not convinced they'll stop a
determined attack.

For firewalls, it's really a cost-cost analysis. One cost is yours -
how much it costs to set up and maintain your firewall. The other cost
is the attackers - how much it's going to cost them to get through
your firewall. The trick to avoiding breakins is to make their cost
higher than the benefit they get from breaking in. Raising your cost
should raise theirs. Setting things up so you have very low recovery
times will lower theirs - and may not raise yours.

Most home LANs probably won't attract the attention of anything more
than script kiddies, so the PNP router/firewall boxes are probably
sufficient. If you're a large company, a major web presense, an ISP,
or a firewall expert (I'm not - I just had the privilege of having one
of the best as a friend and client), you'll attract a more expert
class of attention - and thus need a better firewall.

> >The thing is, that whilst you know that's asking for trouble and I know
> >that's asking for trouble; that's what the client is asking for!
> There's a time when you have to give the customer trouble if that is what
> they are asking for.  If they truly want NT then provide it to the best that
> it can be done and then when it falls apart, you can tell them "OK, now that
> we have gone down that road and you have satisfied yourself that it's
> worthless, let me do it the right way for you now"

This is part of the consultants credo: "You must sometimes give the
customer what they want. This is sufficiently strong medicine that a
single does is usually enough."

	<mike