Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 12:46:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hm@altona.hamburg.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN devices supported?

> > Paying for pipe diameter is good.
> >
> > Paying for flow through a pipe of a fixed diameter is bad.
>
> 	Well, with the first change in the telecommunication
> 	laws here in the US since 1934, companies will be
> 	slitting each other's throats, and the charges will
> 	nosedive.  In Europe, which seems like a more
> 	reasoned bunch overall, who knows?

The riders on this particular change remove "common carrier" protection
for transport providers from content providers they service.

The functional equivalent is the telephone company being laible for
illegal acts by its users.

It's questionable whether or not one would really want to enter such
an arena.

As to slitting each other's throats to sell the pipes, the money will
be in the content: that has not changed.  It's why it costs me $80/mo
for my connection and $220/mo to have my packets routed.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.