Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 2014 21:43:52 -0600
From:      Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   And Here I Thought buildworld/makeworld Was IO Bound

For some years now, I have been doing nightly builds of -STABLE
on an old Pentium D machine with 2G of memory.  Buildworld + 2
different kernels was taking in the neighborhood of 3 1/2 hours or so
to run.

I then upgraded the Mobo/CPU to a Haswell Quadcore I5-4570 and, sure
enough, the build time for all the above came down to 30-35 mins or so.

"So", says I, "I'll bet a faster drive would help considering all the
scribbling to the disk the compilers and makes do".  So, I upgdared to
a Kingston SSD Now 300, 120G hard drive and he time to do the above
went down to .... wait, it's still about 30-35 mins ????

So, I've tried fiddling with different values for -j on the make
command line to little avail.  Well, -j8 and -j16 show no real
difference here.

So is the bounding function here actually CPU not IO?  Am I missing
something?

Thanks,

P.S.  Trying now with no -j arg on make invocation.
Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com