Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:38:52 -0800
From:      Shill <fake@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        shill@free.fr
Subject:   inetd and identd

I'm a FreeBSD newbie so feel free to tell me to RTFM if my questions
have already been answered 1000 times (but be nice and tell me
where).

I have two problems which might be related. I am running a GENERIC
4.2 Release kernel on an i386 architecture.

When I launch inetd -d it outputs

ADD : comsat proto=udp accept=0 max=1 user=tty group=ttyclass=daemon
builtin=0x0 server=/usr/libexec/comsat policy=""
inetd: comsat/udp: ipsec initialization failed; in entrust
inetd: comsat/udp: ipsec initialization failed; out entrust
inetd: enabling comsat, fd 6
inetd: registered /usr/libexec/comsat on 6
ADD : ntalk proto=udp accept=0 max=1 user=tty group=ttyclass=daemon
builtin=0x0 server=/usr/libexec/ntalkd policy=""
inetd: ntalk/udp: ipsec initialization failed; in entrust
inetd: ntalk/udp: ipsec initialization failed; out entrust
inetd: enabling ntalk, fd 7
inetd: registered /usr/libexec/ntalkd on 7
ADD : auth proto=tcp accept=1 max=0 user=root
group=(null)class=daemon builtin=0x80502d0 server=internal policy=""
inetd: auth/tcp: ipsec initialization failed; in entrust
inetd: auth/tcp: ipsec initialization failed; out entrust
inetd: enabling auth, fd 8
inetd: registered internal on 8

then hangs.

If I add inetd_flags="-dlwW" in rc.conf, it's even worse: it hangs
at boot time and not even CTRL-C or CTRL-ALT-DEL do any good. I have
to do a hard reset and boot into single user mode.

Am I not supposed to use inetd's debugging mode with a GENERIC
kernel?

The reason I even bothered with inetd is I want to run identd to be
accepted on EFNET (ident is stupid, btw).

If I add:
auth stream tcp nowait root internal auth -d foobar
in inetd.conf, everything is fine but with
auth stream tcp nowait root internal auth -r -f -n -o Inferno -t 30
I can't seem to be ident-ified.

I did man inetd and fiddled with rc.conf and inetd.conf to no avail.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shill