Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:40:29 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Overland DLT changer and chio ?? -- Seemingly fixed

>I do plan on using chg-scsi when I install Amanda 2.4.1p1 but I wanted to
>make sure I could control the drives with the tools that come
>installed.  I'm fairly new to all this and didn't want to jump into using a
>package without having learned the basics of the device.  Also, if
>something were to happen to the Amanda config or install, I would still be
>able to manipulate tapes in the autoloader.

understandable

>I do believe I found the source of my problem.  On the control panel to the
>autoloader, you can set the device to work either in Sequential or Random
>mode.  With Amanda, I thought I would run it in Sequential mode so that the
>tapes would be ordered by date.  I started thinking about this and just for
>grins put the device in Random mode.  Lo and behold, all the "chio"
>commands now work.

Glad to hear that.  I expect to be moving my Overland to a FreeBSD
system sometime in the next few months.  It's currently attached to a
HP-UX (gag) machine.

BTW, you really, really, really do want to run in random mode unless you
have a changer that won't support it.  The reason is not so much for
backups, which normally use the tapes sequentially, but for restores.

-Mitch