Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:08:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Brian Adkins <brian@lojic.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD emulation for linux

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Brian Adkins wrote:

# So what do we have to do to get a solid JIT?  Is it a matter of developer
# time, or are there other issues involved?  If we could compete with
# Microsoft's and Sun's Java performance/reliability, I would probably become
# the #1 FreeBSD evangelist in a short time :)  I mean, I love it as it is,
# but if it had a Java as least as good as Windows NT, I'd be ecstatic!

I've been playing with TYA.  It is pretty good from what I can
tell from using it, but it is GPL'd so I haven't dug into the
code and tried to fix the few problems that I've found so far.

# Doesn't the Java 2 platform include Symantec's JIT?  Will we get that with
# the port?

Yes the Sun implementation has it (and Blackdown's too I think)
but the source is not publically available, so our port won't
come with it. :(