Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:29:24 +0000 ()
From:      Tim Pushor <timp@orion.ab.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tuning PPP performance

Hello.

I finally solved my flow control problems with FreeBSD dialin w/mgetty and
PPP works reliably. It is slow however, and was wondering if anybody has
any advice.

I am using kernel mode PPP on a USR Sportster 28.8. Port is open at 38400
(I know this should change, but I am testing at 14.4 to begin with, so it
should not be a problem). I am using Windows 95 with it's built in dial-up
networking as a test client with a sportster 14.4. FreeBSD release is
2.1.6. I am not using locked flow control or port speed on the serial
devices as mgetty must be able to change both depending on the mode it's
running in. I belive flow control is finally working properly, as netstat
-i shows no errors in the ppp link.

Thanks in advance for any help offered :-)

Tim
---
Tim Pushor, Senior Systems Engineer | Phone: (403) 284-0042
Orion Technologies Inc.             | FAX:   (403) 284-9495
timp@orion.ab.ca                    | http://www.orion.ab.ca