Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2011 00:43:37 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/procmail Makefile

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:06:15 +0200
Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Once you have the necessary error handling in place in
> your .procmailrc, a .mailfilter file of equal usefulness in maildrop
> is shorter and more concise.

1.  In the context of a FreeBSD port, there is absolutely nothing wrong
with mail/procmail as it stands.  That is to say, it compiles and runs
on all supported OS releases and architectures.

2.  I'd hazard a guess that procmail is used (with or without a view to
it's "interesting" view of error handling) on a large number of
systems.  Whilst there have been recent, shall we say, discussions, on
the viability of the ports tree, one should not expect to be punched
into a nearby wall when attempting to lose such a piece of software
when the issues, such as they are, are with the software itself, not
the port.

3.  Particularly when there's no magic tool to convert all
the .procmailrc's out there to mail/whizzy-new-thing.

4.  Assuming for a minute that y'all are just on a deprecation kick,
there's considerably more interesting low-hanging fruit.  gtk1, qt3,
kde3, gnome1, etc.. etc..

5.  Don't make me put RUN_DEPENDS= procmail:${PORTSDIR}/mail/procmail
somewhere in the bowels of autotools ;)

#3 is the important point.  If you do want to send mail/procmail to the
great bitbucket in the sky, then please provide that magic tool.  I'm
sure lots of folks will be willing to test it for you.

-aDe