Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:46:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Alvin <vj2786x@mbox4.singnet.com.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix and FreeBSD

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Alvin wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm a newbie to Unix and I'd like to learn Unix. However, the software is
>far too expensive for me.
>
>How similar is FreeBSD to commercial Unix? Will knowing FreeBSD help me in
>using commercial Unix later on?

FreeBSD comes from 4.4 BSD Lite which is about as unix as it gets. Knowing
FreeBSD means you may have to step down a notch in quality when it comes
time to use commercial unix.

FreeBSD is unix. It just doesn't pay for the trademark.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/