Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:36:14 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KLD naming

[KLD module file locations]

> I was just pointing out that having things in subdirectories
> is better than having a zillion files piled into a single directory.

I'm torn between agreeing that it's tidier and disagreeing on the
grounds that it's much more of a pain to administer.  "Where is that
damnned module?" "Why am I loading a stale version of saver_foo?", etc.

As a rule when I'm thinking about KLDs I look at the way that MacOS
manages inits/extensions.  That's a model that's survived over a decade
of use by generally fairly clueless users, and hasn't completely
irritated the smarter ones either.

> > are bad (witness the need to reorganise the kernel source tree).
>
> Maybe I'm just an optimist.. but if we have already solved (through
> various incarnations) how to classify the kernel source, then we can
> pretty much inherit this same classification scheme for the modules.

The fact that we're trying to reorganise the kernel sources right now
tends to indicate to me that we haven't solved this at all.

> > A single directory holding module files.
>
> Blech :-)

Put aside the aesthetics for a moment, and try to raise some real,
practical objections.  I'm continually battling my own temptation to
make the whole module thing more complex, but if you've got really good
reasons that can justify the extra complexity everywhere I'm still open
to suggestions.