Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 19:18:19 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Tommy Hallgren <md6tommy@mdstud.chalmers.se>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM image

>You mean they make it available for FTP?

Yes. ftp://ftp.debian.org/OfficialCD/1.3.1/

>Sure, I could do that easily, I've just never knew that anyone would
>really _want_ a 640MB file to download.

They've split it into smaller files. Thank God.

As others wrote to me saying that "make release" would be a substitue
isn't a serious answer. When I burned my FreeBSD2.2.1 CD I had to struggle
with very buggy and strange ftp programs in both Windows and MSDOS. I
wanted all of the distribution. But I couldn't get any of the clients
to handle symlinks they way I wanted, so I fetched the packages/All
directory. Not quite what I wanted. A friend brought his Windows95
computer to my school so we still had long filenames.

Burning it was very cryptic. We could choose 8.3(straight ISO/DOS) or long
filenames(Windows95).

When I got home I put the CD into my drive only to find that the
installation program couldn't find the files.

In Windows95 everything looked fine. But in Linux(which I used back then)
every filename was in lower case. :-(

With a complete CD-image I, and many with me, wouldn't have any of these
problems, regardless of the different systems used to fetch and burn the
CD.

Mvh: Tommy(md6tommy@mdstud.chalmers.se) - Will buy the CD next time. :-)