Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:23:33 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@rover.village.org>
To:        S ren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reset screen hardware?

In message <199708150627.IAA17998@sos.freebsd.dk> S ren Schmidt writes:
: like that, I'll fight that tooth and nail. We wont have hundreds of
: K's of code like that in kernel space.
: There is hope however, there is work underways to do this via the
: video BIOS, and that's a totally different story...

Here's a thought:

Have an lkm that syscons will use if present and loaded.  This lkm
just does one thing: reset the video card to text mode.  It is a tiny
expense in the kernel, provides a general mechanism that can be used
to reset any card.  While a video BIOS call would be even better
(since they are all standardized), this wouldn't work on non-intel
platforms that wish to do the same thing.  Heck, on intel platforms,
the lkm could likely just be the BIOS calls once the hair of making
them gets sorted out.

Comments?

Warner