Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:16:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joe <josepha48@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.2.1 and CD9660_ROOT bootable cdroms

Hello,

   I just upgraded from FreeBSD 4.10 and installed FreBSD 5.2.1.
 I am trying to recreate the bootable cdrom I used to have only
with 5.2.1 and am having little luck.

   I used to use vnconfig so I replaced with mdconfig, I used to
use disklable and replaced with bsdlabel.  The old instructions
I used were here ->
http://home.earthlink.net/~joseph-ja/FreeBSD_cdrom.html

     I replaced using gzip with kgzip.

   I have gotton the cd to actually boot and then it says
decompressing kernel, the kernel gets decompressed and then it
just stops.

    On one line it has

/kernel.kgz text=0x165d data=0xec386=0x10506
syms=[0x4+0x460+0x4+0x1f3]

    The next line has

\

    And it just sits there and does nothing.

    It just stops.  Do I need to replace CD9660_ROOT with
something else in the kernel or somewhere else ( boot -C is used
now)?  Do I need to tell the kernel something else?

    My old 4.10 cd still boots fine, but its a little out of
date.

    I have looked at cdroot and it looks like it is still
designed for 4.x series.

    I dont want to use Fresbie, because I don't need all that on
my router / firewall. I also don't see any reason to use
picobsd, when I can get 4.10 working.

    Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe