Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:17:20 +0200
From:      Andreas Rudisch <cyb.@gmx.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Explaining FreeBSD features

--=-bhcIqTziGGkYveQRyQL2

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 14:55 -0500, Fafa Hafiz Krantz wrote:
> Hello.
>=20
> Thank you all for everything so far.
>=20
> But I am not looking for comparisons.
>=20
> I am looking for stuff that has been written so that people can understan=
d.
>=20
> Let's say this:
>=20
> Multi-threaded SMP architecture capable of executing the kernel in parall=
el on multiple processors, and with kernel preemption, allowing high priori=
ty kernel tasks to preempt other kernel activity, reducing latency. This in=
cludes a multi-threaded network stack and a multi-threaded virtual memory s=
ubsystem. With FreeBSD 6.x, support for a fully parallel VFS allows the UFS=
 file system to run on multiple processors simultaneously, permitting load =
sharing of CPU-intensive I/O optimization.
>=20
> In the real world, that ought to sound more like:
>=20
> FreeBSD includes support for symmetric multiprocessing and multithreading=
. This makes the kernel lock down levels of interfaces and buffers, minimiz=
ing the chance of threads on different processors blocking each other, to g=
ive maximum performance on multiprocessor systems.
>=20
> Thanks.

But then again, if you are new to computers or are not that into the
technical stuff, neither the first nor the second description would make
much sense, or is easy to understand. So I for one would stick with the
first.=20

--=20
GnuPG key  : 0xD25FCC81  |  http://cyb.websimplex.de/pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: D182 6F22 7EEC DD4C 0F6E  564C 691B 0372 D25F CC81

--=-bhcIqTziGGkYveQRyQL2

--=-bhcIqTziGGkYveQRyQL2--