Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 16:19:42 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Owner of many system processes <william@hq.newdream.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (WOT) Re: the best edited picture ever

Hi William and all,

I too hate to contribute to this WOT noise, but it's been an ongoing
problem, and the level of these things especially lately is becoming
huge, and can only get worse the more people keep buying Windows ..

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Owner of many system processes wrote:

 > Colin Faber wrote:
[..]
 > > Solutions suggested on how to correct such problems though the worst
 > > thing that I can think of happening is nothing being done at all.
 >
 > the lengthy discussions regarding these problems everytime another spam,
 > virus, or autoresponse from someone's misconfigured virus scanner get
 > pretty annoying too.  i realize i'm contributing to the noise by
 > furthering this discussion, but i do think that stripping out binary
 > attachments to the list except for pgp/MIME signatures would be a Good
 > Thing.  moderating the list would also be nice, although as someone
 > mentioned, perhaps not appropriate for such a forum.

I do believe that stripping irrelevant attachments (including HTML!)
would be the best thing, and this could best be done by MIME type.  For
example, ALL of the recent so-called double-suffix virii, whatever the
final extension, were of MIME type audio/x-wav.  There's no conceivable
reason to pass audio/x-wav (and many other types) to almost any mailing
list.  Forget 'extensions', as it's only M$ that would be stupid enough
to choose whether to display, otherwise render or _execute_ attachments
based solely on the last three characters of an arbitary file name!

 > closing the list to off-list subscribers seems to be the simplest
 > option, and while it might be annoying, there could be some sort of
 > alternate method of allowing people to post to the list (maybe a web
 > form for non-subscribers or something)?  freebsd-questions is also
 > non-moderated, so perhaps it would be ok to simply close this list to
 > off-list subscribers entirely?

I get freebsd-questions as digest, for occasional utility - couldn't
handle the extra volume otherwise - but lately there've been digests
with little more than a few messages _other_ than these large virii;
there's just no need to pass (eg) audio/x-wav attachments there, either.

[on topic?  I'd actually like to know what can be done with majordomo to
accomplish it; we're having just this problem with a list run from here]

I don't agree that these lists need the large overhead of moderation, if
a (hopefully) simple technical fix can drastically reduce the volume of
this crap in any and all freebsd lists - including stripping HTML mail.

Cheers, Ian