Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 1995 05:27:24 -0400
From:      Temptation <temp@temptation.interlog.com>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@root.com>
Cc:        Ken Wilcox <wilcox@math.psu.edu>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, dyson@root.com
Subject:   Re: Top

On Wed, 7 Jun 1995, David Greenman wrote:

>    FreeBSD pages from the on-disk file for the program text. Copy on write
> data and demand zero bss are paged from swap if sufficient RAM doesn't
> exist. The total amount of available virtual memory is RAM+swap. The system
> should work without any swap space if you have enough memory. Based on the
> information provided, it looks as though his system is exceeding RAM+swap,
> and I don't know what the cause of this is (I think he said something about
> 500 ptys, so perhaps this isn't too surprising. :-)). pstat -s on his system
> shows that there is no swap space available (all 25MB in use).
>    However, I think there is an algorithmic bug in the out of swap space
> condition. The system should free up "cached" pages when swap space gets
> short. Currently, the pagedaemon will periodically wake up and (in John's
> words) "churn" memory a little to page out pages that are seldom referenced
> in favor of caching file data. This can be a problem in a memory over-commit
> situation, however, as it can lead to an out-of-swap condition when the file
> cache growth causes enough pages to be paged out that it exceeds the available
> swap space. It appears that this would result in vm_fault needlessly killing
> off processes. We'll have to fix this.

that sounds better. I did recompile the kernel with 100 users and 32 ptys
( tho. I didn't delete them in /dev (I could only make like 256 of them)
) I had it set for 500 users and 500 ptys at first.
I've also tried it with 32megs, and got the same thing.
Just so everyone knows what I'm doing (this might be the cause of it)
I'm startx (fvwm), and opening xterms (I'm using Bash as a shell)
and running Top in the first one open. And then I get error about not
having any swap space, before I run out of memory( alteast as far as I
can tell,(using the vmstat) both times it comes about 22-24meg used
mark(using 32megs or 256megs) (incase anyone wants to know why I'm doing
this, I'm thinking about starting a ISP service, i thought about using
Linux, but FreeBSD seems to me to be better with Networking support)