Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:05:18 GMT
From:      Andrew Wiley <arew264@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/79807: Lock Up on Old Acer P1 Comp

>Number:         79807
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Lock Up on Old Acer P1 Comp
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
I don't know exactly what this means but when I boot off of the miniinst cd using bcdl (boot cd loader) I recieve the following screen:

(copyrights and email addresses)
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: Pentium/P54C (150.00-MHz 586-class CPU)
     Origin= "GenuineIntel" Id = 0x52c  Stepping = 12
     Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,MCE,CX8>
real memory = 100663296 (96 MB)
avail memory = 84664320 (80 MB)
Intel Pentium Detected, installing workaround for F00F bug
npx0: [FAST]
npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
pcib0: <Host to PCI bridge> pcibus 0 on motherboard
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 2.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
atapci0: <CMD 646 WDMA2 controller> port 0x7400-0x740f,0x376,Ox170-0x177,0f3x6,0x1f0-0x1f7 at device 3.0 on pci0
atapci0: unable to map interrupt
ata0: channel #0 on atapci0

There is a blinking curor beneath all of this, and the system hangs at this.
[...]

The computer is an old ACER pentium 1 that was made in 1996. The exact details of its specs are not on the acer website. I don't know which channels, but there is a cd-rw drive on one channel as master and an old 1.5g hard drive on the other as master. I believe that it can't map the cd drive and the only thing strange about it is that it has been replaced because the original cd drive, while still in working condition, can only read factory discs. If I try to boot from the floppies instead it displays slightly different messages etc but locks in the same place. If I just boot from the cd with no bcdl floppy I recieve this screen:

CD Loader 1.2

Building the boot loader arguments

and the system locks there instead. If I boot from disc1 instead the same thing happens only when I use BCDL (I think that the boot from cd part of the bios doesn't work. If I don't use BCDL it sits at the same building the boot loader arguments screen. I don't think that is a part of the cd. If I boot in Safe Mode I get the same result. Any other info needed should be emailed to me at arew264(at)gmail.com

>How-To-Repeat:
Put the miniinst cd into the cd drive and use the BDCL (boot cd loader) floppy to boot from it.