Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:47:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous Reboots (I thought it was Virtualbox Kernel Modules)

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org  Tue Aug 24 12:29:16 2010
> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:29:27 -0700
> From: Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Spontaneous Reboots (I thought it was Virtualbox Kernel Modules)
>
> I have commented out the lines that load kernel modules for
> virtualbox, and made sure they were gone with kldstat. However I am
> still getting VERY infrequent spontaneous reboots.  So it is not the
> modules.  I am thinking hardware.  It has a temperature alarm that
> sounds when it is hot, but since I have cleaned it out I have not had
> any issues with heat.  I am thinking bad processor/ram.  It is
> behaving the same way before/after the upgraded to the latest release.
>  What do you guys think?

I think its 100% certain that it is hardware, or software.  <*GRIN*>

You can try randomly replacing things, which can be expensive, time-
consuming, and not necessarily effective -- how do you *KNOW* that the
parts you're putting _IN_ do not, themselves, have (as-yet undiscovered)
problems?

I'd try to make the box tell me "something" about *why* it crashed.

crank up the level of logging for 'kernel' events in syslog.con,
enable crash dumps, and make sure the boot process saves the dump
Then you can get into the weird,wonderful, world of 'crash dump'
analysis.

With a few dumps in hand, you can begin to see if there is any consistency
in what the machine was doing -when- it crashed.

Happy hunting