Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:55:59 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        schluntz@pinpt.com (Sean J. Schluntz)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIDI Software for FreeBSD?

E-mail message from Sean J. Schluntz contained:
> --- On Wed, 12 Feb 1997 21:00:32 +0100 (MET)  Christoph Kukulies
> <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> > > Does any one know of any MIDI software (X or text) out there for FreeBSD?
>
> > > Something that will actually let me work with MIDI components, not just
> play
> > > files.  Is there a MIDI sinquencer for FreeBSD?
> >
> > There is a port of 'rosegarden' (SGI) and there is playmidi.
> > AFAIK no midi recorder does exist (yet).
> >
> > (/usr/ports/audio - packages resp.)
>
> Yah, I've looked in the ports/audio section and searched the Message and FAQ
> archives :(
>
> I guess I will have to broaden my search to Linux and SCO software to see if I
> can find such a beast (One of the last things keeping NT on my system.  As
> soon as I find an answer to this it goes!)

I'm afraid you won't find any.  I've been searching for years, and the only
thing that is barely useful is a tcl MIDI library.  One would have to start
from scratch. (I've lost the URL, sorry)

Presently, nothing approaches the QBase, which is the only reason why
WfWG 3.11 still remains on my machine.

MACH might be a better platform for MIDI than UNIX, anyway.  You *do* need
hard realtime to play that junk.  Recording is even worse.  Naturally, we're
talking about live and studio performances here.  Just for fun, you don't
really care if one note comes too late :)

Hard RT is yet another reason why I prefer DOS based MIDI sequencers: there
ain't no OS which *might* disturb their operation.

/Marino