Date:               Thu, 29 Aug 1996 14:40:34 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         TCP/IP incoming falling asleep?

Some of you may remember an earlier post about 3 parallel printers and
IRQ 12/IO 300.  Based on some suggestions, I've since tried IRQ 10/IO
2C0, but essentially the same thing is happening: after several hours of
print requests, most incoming UDP/TCP seems to crawl to a stop.

This hasn't been traced down to the packet level yet so forgive me
briefly.  The symptoms seem to flow along these lines:

    - system boots fine
    - several hours of sevicing print requests
    - later, print requests get rejected for previously authorized hosts
    - meantime, SMTP, telnet, FTP attempts have timeouts or very slow to
      prompt after connect (2-4 minutes)
    - strangely, outgoing FTP and telnet behave normally (no delays)
    - ping requests from other hosts are honored
    - from the console, system seems normal
    - netstat -r extremely slow to report routes

One NT client I suspect has configuration problems, or its operator is
kind enough to report problems instead of rebooting the print server,
something I generally have to fall back on once several people complain.
This invariably "fixes" the problem.  The third parallel port has been
removed and the big plotter returned to the Sun system it came from.

TCP extensions are now off: no difference observed.  Kernel
configuration, 'dmesg' output, and 'ps' before/after are below for the
curious.  It _is_ a VLB motherboard, which I've heard are anathema.  All
suggestions welcomed.

thanks,
larry

dmesg output:

FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE #0: Mon Jul 29 10:40:21 CDT 1996
    root@archive:/usr/src/sys/compile/VLB486PS
CPU: i486 DX2 (486-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x435  Stepping=5
  Features=0x3<FPU,VME>
real memory  = 16777216 (16384K bytes)
avail memory = 15036416 (14684K bytes)
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
ed0 at 0x2c0-0x2df irq 10 on isa
ed0: address 08:00:00:42:35:22, type NE2000 (16 bit)
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16450
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16450
lpt0 at 0x3bc-0x3c3 on isa
lpt1 at 0x378-0x37f on isa
lpt2: disabled, not probed.
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc0: NEC 765
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
fd1: 1.2MB 5.25in
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <Maxtor 7270 AV>
wd0: 257MB (527450 sectors), 959 cyls, 11 heads, 50 S/T, 512 B/S
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface

kernel config:

machine     "i386"
cpu     "I386_CPU"
cpu     "I486_CPU"
ident       "VLB486PS"
maxusers    10
options     MATH_EMULATE        #Support for x87 emulation
options     INET            #InterNETworking
options     FFS         #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options     NFS         #Network Filesystem
options     MSDOSFS         #MSDOS Filesystem
options     "CD9660"        #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options     PROCFS          #Process filesystem
options     "COMPAT_43"     #Compatible with BSD 4.3
options     BOUNCE_BUFFERS      #include support for DMA bounce buffers
options     UCONSOLE        #Allow users to grab the console
options     SYSVSHM
options     SYSVSEM
options     SYSVMSG
config      kernel  root on wd0
controller  isa0
controller  fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk        fd0 at fdc0 drive 0
disk        fd1 at fdc0 drive 1
controller  wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk        wd0 at wdc0 drive 0
disk        wd1 at wdc0 drive 1
device      sc0 at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
device      npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr
device      sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device      sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device      lpt0    at isa? port? tty
device      lpt1    at isa? port? tty
device      lpt2    at isa? port? tty
device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  12 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   sl  1
pseudo-device   tun 1
pseudo-device   pty 16
pseudo-device   gzip        # Exec gzipped a.out's

ps output during normal operation:

  PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
    0  ??  DLs    0:00.00  (swapper)
    1  ??  Is     0:00.17 /sbin/init --
    2  ??  DL     0:00.00  (pagedaemon)
    3  ??  DL     0:00.00  (vmdaemon)
    4  ??  DL     0:11.58  (update)
   20  ??  Is     0:00.04 adjkerntz -i
   48  ??  Is     0:01.54 routed -q
   65  ??  Ss     0:02.22 syslogd
   71  ??  Is     0:00.06 portmap
   82  ??  Is     0:02.01 inetd
   89  ??  Is     0:03.59 cron
   91  ??  Is     0:00.75 lpd -l
   97  ??  Is     0:00.43 sendmail: accepting connections (sendmail)
  496  ??  S      0:01.18 telnetd
  497  p0  Ss     0:00.86 -csh (csh)
  509  p0  R+     0:00.05 ps -ax
  143  v0  Is+    0:00.13 /usr/libexec/getty Pc ttyv0
  144  v1  Is+    0:00.14 /usr/libexec/getty Pc ttyv1
  145  v2  Is+    0:00.14 /usr/libexec/getty Pc ttyv2

ps output during problem period:

  PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
    0  ??  DLs    0:00.00  (swapper)
    1  ??  Is     0:00.18 /sbin/init --
    2  ??  DL     0:00.00  (pagedaemon)
    3  ??  DL     0:00.00  (vmdaemon)
    4  ??  DL     0:20.20  (update)
   20  ??  Is     0:00.04 adjkerntz -i
   48  ??  Ss     0:02.45 routed -q
   65  ??  Is     0:03.25 syslogd
   71  ??  Is     0:00.06 portmap
   82  ??  Is     0:02.07 inetd
   89  ??  Ss     0:05.49 cron
   91  ??  Is     0:01.44 lpd -l
   97  ??  Is     0:00.63 sendmail: accepting connections (sendmail)
  789  ??  S      0:00.16 lpd -l
  143  v0  Ss     0:01.01 -csh (csh)
  807  v0  R+     0:00.05 ps -ax