Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:22:01 +1000
From:      Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
To:        Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsdquestions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Are these attempts by password crackers??

The AllowUser parameter in ssh_config is handy too.

man sshd_config (5)

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 17:00, Rob wrote:
> Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > Hello users.
> > I run several 5.2.1 boxes (in production).
> >
> > For weeks now, I have seen alot of notifications from periodic/daily
> > with the output below and I have questions:
> >

> > 1. Is this some virus or some crackers playing around?
> > 2. Why only on 5.2.1 systems and not on any of the 4.10 boxes that I
> >    also run?
> > 3. Am I supposed to be worried at all? Well, I am not ;)
> >    I hate the messages though and there must be something here that I
> >    need to do.
> >

> > <cut>
> >
> > Oct 17 10:44:10 gw sshd[4170]: Failed password for nobody from 210.80.96.185 port 52215 ssh2
> > Oct 17 10:44:19 gw sshd[4172]: Failed password for patrick from 210.80.96.185 port 52337 ssh2
>
> These attackers seem to always poke at port 22 for ssh holes.
> I have three ways to prevent access, from easy to more difficult setup:
>
> 1. restrict sshd access in /etc/hosts.allow, by an entry like
>
>       sshd : 225.50.0.0/255.255.0.0 : allow
>       [...whatever access restrictions to other services...]
>       ALL : ALL : deny
>
>     where 225.50.0.0/255.255.0.0 is an example of the sub-network your on.
>     Only IPs from this network can access your PC via ssh.
>
> 2. shift your sshd access to another port, by modifing /etc/rc.conf
>
>        sshd_flags="-p 4321"
>
>     but then users should be informed to do "ssh -p 4321 ...." instead.
>     Note: 4321 is just an example; choose your own number > 1024 here.
>
> 3. Use a firewall, that allows access via port 22 only for restricted IPs,
>     but the other sshd port for the whole world.
>     Modify /etc/rc.conf:
>        sshd_flags="-p 22 -p 4321"
>
>     And for example with ipfw:
>
>        [...]
>        check-state
>        [...]
>        allow tcp from any to me 4321 in via rl0 setup
>        allow tcp from 225.50.0.0/16 to me ssh in via rl0 setup
>
>     (replace "rl0" by your own device).
>

> I am using (3) and the sshd attacks have dropped to zero.
>
> Rob.

> This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer
---------------------------------
Bytecraft Systems & Entertainment
P: +61 3 8710 2555
F: +61 3 8710 2599
D: +61 3 9238 4275
M: +61 417 319 256
E: murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com
or visit us on the web
http://www.bytecraftsystems.com
http://www.bytecraftentertainment.com

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.

This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.