Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:42:16 +0100
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@cs.kun.nl>
To:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fyi: bootstrapped

On Saturday 01 November 2003 00:12, you wrote:
> I get this too, in 32 bit mode as well.  The USB uhci code simply doesn't
> like something.  I dont know what.

OK, I'll futz around a bit with that.

> Also, the 14 minutes was a 32 bit buildworld on 4.x.  -current has a slower
> compiler and compiles different things, eg: kerberos5.

I didn't think gcc 3.x affected C compile times much (more slowdown in C++).

> To build kdebase3, you'll need a couple of tweaks to the
> XFree86-4-libraries port.  I did this:
> $ make patch
> $ cd work/xc/lib
> $ vi xkb*/Imakefile

Thanks for the hints. I knew there was something about those static libs and
that arved knows what to do, now I know too.

> If you're in the final stage, you can do a 'make everything'.  But I'd
> suggest that you instead turn WITNESS and friends off first.

Kay.

> If kdebase3 blows up due to u_int32_t in netinet6/in6.h, you need to finish
> your buildworld/installworld.  You can manually edit (if you want)
> /usr/include/netinet6/in6.h so that the ip6m_mtu varaible is changed from
> u_int32_t to uint32_t.  This has been committed already.

Committed to FBSD CVS? Or KDE CVS? We do workarounds in KDE CVS all the time
for BSD - in particular vm_map.h, which might be fixed in CURRENT so the
workarounds introduced upstream can be taken out again.

> Now, the kdebase3 build is slow.... :-]  But it (konq) is the only browser
> I've been able to get running so far.

Bo, I'm used to it taking 3 days on older Solaris machines, a few hours on an
Athlon XP, so anything under that time frame is pure profit.