Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 13:11:52 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm system interaction with nullfs

On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 02:33:42AM -0700, Don Lewis wrote:
> On Sep 13, 10:43pm, Terry Lambert wrote:
> } Subject: Re: vm system interaction with nullfs
> } > Since the vm system keeps track of what it has in memory by (vnode, offset),
> } > how is this supposed to work when stackable filesystems are in use which
> } > create multiple vnodes for a single filesytem object, or is this broken?
> }
> } Yes, this is still broken.
> }
> } This was the primary reason for the migration of a putpages/getpages
> } into all "bottom-of-stack" FS's.
> }
> } The general fix is to create a "getfinalvp".  This would allow you
> } to page through an object, while allowing layers stacked on top to
> } dictate layout/content.
>
> I started down this path and created VOP_GETBACKINGVP.  This part was
> pretty easy.  The problem is that there are a zillion references to
> vp->v_object all over the place that would need to be fixed.

"A zillion" == 63.  Interesting.  I've always wondered what exact
number it represents :-)

Fixing these are trivial.  I can do that in (much) less than an hour,
if there is general agreement that this is the way to go (I think it
sound reasonable).

This time I want bde's word he won't veto as I'm about to commit it,
though.

Eivind.