Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:38:27 -0700
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction

Guess what - in real life, things often happen "with no warning", and the
less time you spend attributing things like this to suspicious or hostile
intent, the more hair on your head you'll keep.

The fact remains that the FSF is the most visible group in this space, has
the most clearly set agenda for how to spend money, actively solicits
donations, and, in my opinion, is today the least polarizing place they
could put the money.  If they gave it to Linux Intl, or to FreeBSD Inc,
clearly there'd be moans from one side of the hall or another.  If they
split it and gave it to those camps, there might be other groups who'd
complain - what about the OpenBSD folks?  Split it too many ways and it
becomes a bit silly (here Jordan, here's $50, have a nice dinner on us!).

I'm not defending their choice, but merely trying to say, don't let it get
your goat.  This isn't going to be a whole lotta money.  If you want to
apply emotive force towards generating money for FreeBSD, Inc., there are a
number of ways we can do it.  I'm willing to bet ORA would consider giving
the money from the next one to a different group.

I did reiterate to them that it should be a voluntary donation.

	Brian