Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 12:01:49 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        Steve Rubin <ser@tch.org>
Cc:        John Milford <jwm@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig: changing mac address

On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 12:26:37AM -0700, Steve Rubin wrote:
> This is not how Etherchannel works.  Anyone from cisco here care to explain
> better than I possibly could?
>
> On Fri, May 14, 1999 at 08:28:55PM -0700, John Milford wrote:
> >
> > 	You have to have the capibility on the switch, and enable it
> > first.  It is called EtherChannel by Cisco, and it is 2 or 4 ports
> > that all have the same MAC addr plugged into the switch, and the
> > switch treats them as one interface.

Yes Etherchannel uses some other mechanism to balance the load.
There's another protocol available (from HP I think) which is able to increase
the bandwidth with MAC-Addresses.
All interfaces send their data with the same sender-MAC and only one interface
is used to receive data.
There is only an increase on sending data which is good for fileservers.
On the receiving side the other interfaces are only used for standby reasons.

> > dy
> > me
> > > >

> > > Having 2 ethernet cards with the same mac address on two different ports
> > > of all the cisco switches I have used (1100-6500) will confuse the hell
> > > out of them :).  I've seen it happen.

I asume they will disable all "redundance" ports as long as the first one with
the MAC-Address in question is active with that MAC.

--
  B.Walter