Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:34:40 -0400
From:      Joe Altman <fj@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB code changed, right? Perhaps an unchange is in order?

I was pretty sure I saw a heads-up, and lo I did:

+++

I have just merged in most of the lowest level changes to 4.x from
6.x.

If you use USB on 4.x machines and are planning on following RELENG_4
then I suggest you test the latest sources to avoid nasty surprises
later.

I will probably merge some of the actual device drivers as well,
though I have limited resources for testing them..

+++

Currently, I find my P4 hanging just after discovering the parallel
port and mounting disk; in other words, just here:

ppc0: parallel port not found.
ad0: 28629MB <ST330620A> [58168/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100

but ->only<- when my Logitech USB mouse is plugged in. Now, if I
unplug it and hit reset (not Ctrl-Alt-Del; the keyboard is frozen) the
system boots, and I can obtain X w/ a functional mouse. Yesterday, of
course, prior to the USB change the system did not hang.

I noticed that some code was changed in between my discovery of the
hanging and my attempt to fix it:

Apr 27 21:15 subr_bus.c

but this change, and the subsequent world update, did not solve the
issue of the hanging mouse.

See, I know I've only myself to blame for missing the announcement
and/or starting an upgrade in an interstice between stability and
apparent instability. But still...test first, deploy later, perhaps?

Kernel bits, had them for a couple of years now:

device          uhci
device          ohci
device          ehci
device          usb
device          ugen
device          ums
device          uscanner

With my luck, it's probably not the mouse after all.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Now, off to read more of Blue Mars.

--
I don't care what you think. This is not a stylishly insouciant stroll
out of the jungle, here. It's more like we've fallen out of our trees