Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 1996 22:46:57 -0700
From:      pierre@ebay.com (Pierre Omidyar)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stupid Swap Question

At 10:01 PM 7/24/96, Doug White wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Pierre Omidyar wrote:
>
>> What makes me worry more about this is that at those times, my httpd
>> server, apache 1.1.1, is unable to spawn child processes for cgi scripts,
>> and writes errors to its log file, as well as giving server error messages
>> to my users. No errors are written to /var/log/messages, however.
>
>Hm.  What is the error they're getting?  You may be hitting a bad SIMM.

The apache error to the log file is like this:

[Wed Jul 24 21:30:32 1996] access to /usr/local/www/data/whatever.cgi
failed for cnc000143.concentric.net, reason: couldn't spawn child process

and the error the user receives back from apache is the generic "Server
error: a configuration problem exists; contact the administrator, etc.."

I'd be surprised if it was a bad SIMM, but of course anything can happen...
wouldn't there be other signs?

Thanks,

Pierre