Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:32:20 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Cyril Niklaus <cynik@gmx.co.uk>
Cc:        Marco Wertejuk <wertejuk@mwcis.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newcard, /dev/card0 missing?

> Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:41:54 +0900
> From: Cyril Niklaus <cynik@gmx.co.uk>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hello all,
>
> On Mardi, janvier 21, 2003, at 07:11 AM, Marco Wertejuk wrote:
> > | isa->pccard bridge with wi-fi card. MAKEDEV also seems
> > | to have gone away. I understand it's using something
> >
> > MAKEDEV is no longer needed with devfs since /dev is
> > no longer static.
>
> Then why is the kernel complaining that /dev/card0 is missing? Should
> it not create the entry on the fly? I also have this problem among the
> series I have with the new pccard stuff, so I'm interrested in
> directions.

If you are using NEWCARD, there is no /devc/card0 and you don't run
pccardd. If you look at /sys/i386/conf/OLDCARD, you will see that it
includes "device card" while NEWCARD does not.

If things are working correctly, compiling the kernel with OLDCARD
should result in /dev/card0 being created so that pccardd can run. I am
pretty sure that OLDCARD is required for ISA->pccard bridges at the
moment, although it should go away down the road.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)