Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:18:38 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Kees.Koster@nym.sc.philips.com
Subject:   Re: SOYO SY-30F2 blues

Hi,

> > Make sure you are using the latest XFree86 3.1.2 beta release (I think
> > it's 3.1.2e). Also try playing with  options  in  the  /etc/XF86Config
> > file. I have had to explicitely specify the VRAM base address in  mine
> > as follows (remember my card is a 3400):
> >
> I did ftp the 3.1.2e release for FreeBSD 2.1.0-release and played
> around. The problem did not change. XFree86 would detect my chipset
> and ram size correctly ... start ... display the familiar grey grid
> ... add the mouse cursor ... sometimes even an xterm or two ...
> and hang the system, leaving the SCSI activity led burning (!)
> This behaviour is the same with every server version I tried.

I have a diamond 2201 which I bought for a doz box I had to build.  It
works well in doz95 (a few things purturb it, but it is doz!).
I tried X 3.1.2e just for grins and also had trouble.  For me the problem
was that xpm icons turned to grey mush, and the mouse was a large
white square.  Can't remember for sure, but I believe there was a vertical
strip in first 16 or so pixels at left of screen.   I suspect that this
will work fine once the XFree86 people catch up with it.  The chipset
is some flavor of Trio 64+.  The motherboard I tested in was an Intel
Zappa II.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD