Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:38:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Crypt0n <crypton@gate.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Info..

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Crypt0n wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm new to freebsd. I have a question about ppp.
> Before, i used linux and all i had to set up to connect to my isp using
> PPP, (not slip)
> was configure :
> ==================
> /etc/resolv.conf
> /etc/ppp/options
> ==================
> Now that i install freebsd, i'm confused. I went to the www.freebsd.org
> , and went to handbook and look for setting up ppp. Well, i found :
> ==========================
> 15.1.5. PPP Configuration
> and
> 15.2.1. Working as a PPP client
> ==========================
>
> I notice that ( 15.2.1. Working as a PPP client) is identical as setting
> up PPP to connect
> to my isp with linux. But i don't understand what ( 15.1.5 PPP
> Configuration ) is for?

There are two ppp clients in FreeBSD, pppd (kernel ppp, much like the one
i most Linux distributions) and ppp (aka user mode ppp).  usermode ppp is
interactive and generally more feature-rich at the cost of some ppp
performance.  I generally recommend newbies use ppp since it spews copius
logs and can be interrogated while connected.

Doug White