Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:21:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "dangerously dedicated"

>> Linux requires it to run, but doesn't hang forever if it doesn't
>> exist.  FreeBSD is the only system I've encountered so far that will
>> lock up (ie, does not respond to any keyboard requests or terminate

CS> What's there to scan?  The MBR always lives on the first sector of the
CS> disk.  If it hung it was the BIOS that hung because it had nothing else
CS> to do.

So, your telling me that on this one box I have, that Linux will boot
and recognize the disks, BSD/OS will boot and install, FreeDOS will
boot and recognize the disks but FreeBSD will boot but WON'T recognize
the disks (until I install an FDISK partition table) is the fault of
the BIOS?  Why on earth would the FreeBSD kernel be using the BIOS to
access the disk?

We must be speaking different languages, because I just can't seem to
explain it well enough to you.  So I guess I'll just go away because
it is way to hostile around here.  I really hope that the BSD/OS
engineers bring a more civilized tone to this FreeBSD arena.  They
sure are much nicer even when your not paying them.