Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 1996 10:37:39 -0300 (EST)
From:      "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br>
To:        "Rosa Ma. Nielsen G." <rnielsen@cariari.ucr.ac.cr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recompiling Kernel

On Sat, 13 Apr 1996, Rosa Ma. Nielsen G. wrote:

> =09I have just recently instaled FreeBSD on my computer (by the way,=20
> is excelent), and also installed XFree86. I have a PS/2 mouse, and I=20
> configured it on the first instalation (and from /stand/sysinstall). And=
=20
> I know I have to recompile the Kernel, but acording to the instructions I=
=20
> saw I have to get into the /sys directory, and I can=B4t acces this=20
> directory, even when I=B4m logged as root. I don=B4t really know what can=
 be=20
> ging wrong, I downloaded FreeBSD from the Internet, so I have the most=20
> basic configuration (plus the manpages and XFree86).

Hello Rosa.

Seems you have not installed the system sources.
if so,
1) mount the CD,
2) cd /cdrom/dists/src
3) cat ssys* | tar xvzf - -C /usr/src
4) cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf.

make your own kernel ex:xxx, by copying from GENERIC,
do a config xxx, cd ../../compile/xxx, make depend all install.

It installs the new kernel ready for booting.